What Are You Willing to Give Up for Your Goals?
I was listening to Dave Ramsey the other day and he posed an interesting question– what are you willing to give up in order to achieve your goals? We often think and talk about what we’re willing to do in order to make our goals reality, but we rarely think about the cost that comes with making them happen. So first I started to think about our goal of running a marathon. (I was running at the time so that was at the front of my mind.) I came up with a list of some things I’m willing to give up in order to make that goal happen:
1. I’m willing to give up sleeping in on Saturdays and some week days for early morning runs.
2. I’m willing to give up some time.
3. I’m willing to sacrifice other workouts that I enjoy so I can focus on running.
4. I’m willing to not spend as much time out on Friday evenings since I have to get up early the next morning.
Then I started to think about our goal of having no mortgage. Certainly we are willing to pay our mortgage on time and pay extra when we can, but then I started think about what we would really be able to give up in order to live debt free. Here’s what I came up with:
1. I’m willing to sacrifice space and live in a smaller home so I can have no mortgage.
2. I’m willing to give up eating at fancy restaurants outside of special occasions.
3. I’m willing to forgo unnecessary shopping trips.
4. I’m willing to give up a room in our home so we can take in a roommate.
5. I’m willing to sacrifice having lots of land if that allows us to achieve our goal more quickly.
As soon as I had a clear idea of what I was willing to give up in order to achieve my goal, it helped me to realize what steps need to be taken and gave me a better vision for the future. So what are you willing to give up for your goals?