CBS News Helps Thousands Find Missing Money
It’s hard to believe that millions of Americans have unclaimed money waiting for them. But that’s what CBS News says. Here are the websites they’re telling people to check out:
1. MissingMoney.com: Bank accounts, safe deposit boxes, mutual funds, uncashed checks, utility deposits, escrow accounts and more.
2. Unclaimed.org: $32.877 billion in forgotten assets.
3. PBBC.gov: Unclaimed pension benefits.
4. IRS.gov: Unclaimed tax refunds.
5. TreasuryDirect.gov: Uncashed savings bonds.
All of these searches are free and take just a few minutes. You’ll need to put in basic information including your name and social security number. CBS News says it varies from state to state, but if you discover that some money is owed to you you should receive it within a few weeks. “The Early Show” says a lot of viewers found money ranging from $10 to several hundred. After the segment on missing money aired, the website MissingMoney.com saw an increase of two million searches on their website with about 85,000 people finding unclaimed money.